[ExI] dolchstosslegende, was: RE: cost of SBSP and thorium

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Aug 21 13:34:14 UTC 2012

>... On Behalf Of BillK
Subject: Re: [ExI] dolchstosslegende, was: RE: cost of SBSP and thorium

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 2:27 AM, spike wrote:
>>... This is interesting in many ways.  For about the past 30 years, we
> have seen what looks to me like a convergence of the two American
> mainstream parties since the mid-90s.  This year, for the first time
> since I have been a voter (a tragically long time, alas) I can really
> tell the difference.  One party wants to just drive off the debt cliff
> with little significant change.  The other wants to drive off the debt
> cliff with the accelerator pedal to the floor.
>

>...The situation is now so bad that people are suggesting that the US might
as well abolish all taxation and just keep on printing and spending money.
It would make little difference to the deficit....The deficit is never going
to be repaid and it appears impossible now for the US to cut back to
spending only what it collects in taxes.  BillK

Here's what I find most astonishing.  The current party in power projects
increasing deficit with the resulting runaway debt, with no attempt at
projecting an eventual breakeven.  They offer no hope of long term survival.
The other party is suggesting a plan that does in principle the same thing,
only it takes 50 years instead of 20 before we have sold our country to the
Chinese.  Yet anyone who suggests we need to both raise taxes and cut
spending at least until the deficit is zero (never mind attempting to hack
away at the debt) that person is a Tea Party whacko, a crazy, a radical.

The Tea Party has been vilified in every way, yet its main message is that
perhaps we really aren't bankrupt yet.  But the solutions are painful.  We
need to call home all troops overseas everywhere, and lay off most of the
ones we currently employ, retire the more expensive weapons systems, end
most government assistance to the poor, stop offering unrealistic
government-funded retirement promises to those currently working, end the
war on drugs, etc.  This was all great fun, but we have run out of other
peoples' money.

All this change is painful of course, but the alternative is worse.  By
saying this, *I* am the one who is labeled the crazy.  Apparently the sane
ones are those who want to continue until it all crashes with such violence
it destroys our economy and others' economies all over the world.