[ExI] pussy riot case

Henry Rivera hrivera at alumni.virginia.edu
Thu Aug 23 02:13:53 UTC 2012

(I think this thread definitely needs a name change. Sorry I didn't take
the initiative.)

Manning took a risk knowing the consequences full well. That's on him.I
think he had informed consent, and I've seen no evidence he was coerced or
manipulated.

Assange personifies the worldview of full transparency, information
anarchy, information needs to be freed, the leveling of the playing field,
dethroning people who use an information imbalance to maintain power,
exploit, and oppress others. It sounds like Kelly takes issue with that,
which he is entitled to do. Any persecution of Assange is an attempt to
make an example of him and giving the big middle finger to cracker/hacker
transparency movement. This is personal as far as US intelligence agencies
are concerned, so emotional decisions are being made which is escalating
the situation IMHO.What Assange represents is gaining support as more
people learn about the abuse of power via places like Wikileaks. The
information age is here. There is no turning it back no matter what they do
to Assange.
-Henry