[ExI] pussy riot case

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Thu Aug 23 09:52:48 UTC 2012

On 23/08/2012 03:13, Henry Rivera wrote:
> Assange personifies the worldview of full transparency, information
> anarchy, information needs to be freed, the leveling of the playing
> field, dethroning people who use an information imbalance to maintain
> power, exploit, and oppress others. ... Any persecution of Assange is
> an attempt to make an example of him and giving the big middle finger
> to cracker/hacker transparency movement.

Aaaaand that is the problem. When choosing a personification, try to
find one less flawed. Because now valid criticism of his flaws get mixed
up with criticism of what he stands for. And when the personification
does stupid things the ideal is also smeared.

Objectivists get stuck with Ayn Rand. Leftists today have to deal with
Hugo Chavez. Americans elect one president after another.

> This is personal as far as US intelligence agencies are concerned, so
> emotional decisions are being made which is escalating the situation IMHO.

Nah, when I went to DC a while ago the intelligence people were pretty
laid-back about it. Leaks happen, global transparency might be around
the corner ("All our secrets are going to be on a torrent server in
Kazakhstan, right next to the secrets of our enemies") - but they would
still have a job. The real rancour against Wikileaks came from the
diplomacy people. They were upset.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute