[ExI] Bad news for US customers of Intrade

Omar Rahman rahmans at me.com
Sun Dec 2 16:14:50 UTC 2012

On 2012-12-02, at 1:00 PM, extropy-chat-request at lists.extropy.org wrote:

> [...]

As a 'native speaker' who has taught English as a second language I would say that:

- 'the demand that (someone) has to control' does portray Adrian's position as an absolute or extreme position
- Adrian has at other places tried to distance himself from this sort of position
- the X 'rather than' Y doesn't mean that if X is an absolute the alternative Y must also be an absolute, but simply shows your preference to a second alternative (and it should not be inferred that this implies that there are only 2 alternatives)

Eg. I would rather eat the absolute best ever steak than some bug. (Clearly there are more things to eat than bugs and steak.)

Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 12:47:56 -0800
From: Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com>

> I see nothing there that disproves the notion that you were presenting
> a contrast between two absolutes, and thus implicitly denying the
> possibility of anything between.

As a person who can read I would say:

- Rafał said in some clarification response somewhere (sorry for not taking the time to dig that out) that his position isn't for some sort of theoretical absolute freedom, but generally for 'more' freedom

As a person who has studied logic I would say:

yourlogicalfallacyis.com/black-or-white      (Website not responding, which is a shame because I love sending people there.)

I hope that site comes up again soon, it is a simple reference that is worth reviewing from time to time.

Regards,

Omar Rahman