[ExI] mazlow's heirarchy of needs

Max More max at maxmore.com
Thu Dec 6 05:27:15 UTC 2012

You obviously didn't lose too many IQ points, Spike, for you made a
brilliant observation that had not occurred to me when you said:

Suddenly I discovered it is really worse than having about thirty IQ points
> whacked off, owwwww damn.  And it cuts them off the top, rather than the
> bottom.  I would let the bottom 30 go, but these top thirty IQ points are
> the smart ones.

A remarkable insight! Now, I can set about finding a way to remove my
bottom 30 -- or 50 (let's throw caution to the winds) -- IQ points. Since
nature abhors a vacuum, clearly I will then gain 30 or 50 IQ points on the
top (since density is lower at higher altitudes).

Why, oh why, has no one thought of this method of intelligence augmentation
before?

--Max

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 5:06 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> [...]
> some primordial slimy eukaryotic lifeform in a precambrian amino-acid rich
> tide pool, seeking other primitive single-celled organisms to devour,
>  wriggling and oozing about in all its refulgent wretchedness, but having
> long since retired its paper dictionary, utterly unable to look up the
> definition of such interesting terms as “refulgent.”  But uses it anyway.
> Without the internet, I am cut off from all linguistic resources, lacking
> all tools for more colorful and picturesque speech.  I feel just…lost… like
> some kind of… not-found… guy… who like…doesn’t know… where he…like…is.  Or
> nothing.****
>
> ** **
>
> So now we need to redo Maz(s)low’s list.  Air.  Water.  Food.  I honestly
> don’t know what comes next, it’s either internet or shelter, probably
> depending on the local climate and weather conditions at the moment, but it
> internet is higher than sex.  A Malibu mansion without internet is to me
> less comfortable than a sturdy cardboard box with high speed fiber optic,
> especially if it is not too snowy.****
>
> ** **
>
> I have half a mind to call him up and tell him the way it is:  Mazlow!
> You are all wet, man!  Fortunately for him, I can’t look up his number
> because my internet is down, and so is my phone.****
>
> ** **
>
> And that self-actualization bit, forget that!  What is the opposite of
> self-actualization?  Self-theoreticalizaton?  Someone-else actualization?
> Believe me, I would rather have either or both of those conditions before I
> would give up even a few mbps of download bandwidth.  Self-actualization
> indeed.  With no internet, an otherwise sane person writes posts like this
> one, with utterly NOTHING better to do.  Back in the 70s, when young lovers
> had nothing better to do, they would sit around the house, get high and
> watch the tube.  Until they decided to cut loose.  They don’t do that
> anymore.****
>
> ** **
>
> Isn’t is astonishing that a mere 20 yrs ago, we didn’t really even have
> the internet.  What the heck did we do?  Go around not knowing stuff?****
>
> ** **
>
> Those of you who I met this past weekend in SF at the Transhumanist
> schmooze, if you are sending me personal notes, be patient please.  I have
> not been able to answer much, but I will eventually catch up.  I got on my
> neighbor’s phone, called my ISP, demanded that they go to whatever backward
> and benighted land where they find cable technicians, scramble an F-18, put
> that guy on it and get him to my house forthwith, and let not another
> minute pass where they leave me off of my information pipe, otherwise I
> will go and brutally find an alternate ISP!  And I MEAN BUSINESS, AT&T!***
> *
>
> ** **
>
> They are coming tomorrow, 1300.  Then I’ll be back.  In all my refined and

Max More, PhD
Strategic Philosopher
Co-editor, *The Transhumanist Reader*
President & CEO, Alcor Life Extension Foundation
7895 E. Acoma Dr # 110
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
480/905-1906 ext 113