[ExI] mayan forecast

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 19:08:50 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 10:48 AM, Mike Dougherty <msd001 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Natural systems rotate and orbit in cycles, why doesn't our observance of
> the passage of time?

Because, even if cycles repeat, the past cycles remain in the
past.

The months and days cycle in the new year, as the seasons do.
But that particular year never happens again.

Never again will the 2012 Olympics happen.  Other Olympics
will happen, but they will be products of their years, not 2012.

Never again shall the dodo exist (unless someone somewhere
has enough DNA to clone the species, and barring recreations
that may be called "dodo" but are in fact distinct species).

There may yet be a year in which no human being walks the
Earth, but even discounting things like the current Mayan
hysteria, the guesses on that range from less than a
century through billions of years, so we do not yet know how
to measure such a cycle.