[ExI] toys rewiring kids' brains

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Dec 26 02:12:44 UTC 2012

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Will Steinberg
Sent: Tuesday, December 25, 2012 12:37 PM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] toys rewiring kids' brains

>.Spike,

>.No kid keeps the set as is.  We made it by the instructions and destroyed
it afterwards, using the pieces for random shit.  If anything it allowed
cooler pieces to come into our houses.  I distinctly remember finding old
legos at my grandparents' and thinking they were really boring.

>.Sorry, but I believe I have the experience to reject your hypothesis.

Sure Will, but of course you are part of the younger set who did not start
out with the original blocks, which explains why you would find them boring.
My son is an example of one who builds a kit, then never takes it apart.
But the toy is then far too specific for imaginative play.  He may be an
oddball in that sense.