[ExI] Expansion of the Universe

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sun Dec 30 00:00:48 UTC 2012

On 2012-12-29 10:19, BillK wrote:
> So much for humanity expanding throughout the universe.
> If humanity is ever able to reach another galaxy, we'll only get to
> the nearest few out of 200 billion galaxies.

Sure. Just 2e22 stars. And about a hundred times as much gas and dark
matter.

According to our calculations (they are in my paper with Stuart
Armstrong), what matters the most is expansion velocity, not how long we
delay. Since the remote galaxies will be reached in billions of years
anyway a delay of a million years does not matter much if it leads to a
bit faster probes. This is also favors small and fast probes with few
generations and high fan-out rather than big and slow ones that spread
shorter distances.

An important question is what you want to use the mass for. If you want
to turn it into hedonium and do not care about long-range communications
you should try to get as much as possible. If you want a cohesive
civilization you will not need much beyond a supercluster anyway, since
the other superclusters will drift apart and lose causal contact with
you. So hedonists might be more motivated to spread far and wide.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute