[ExI] Abundance

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 00:13:28 UTC 2012

I found a book coming out very soon called "Abundance" by Peter
Diamandas and Steven Kotler.

The book sounds very interesting... probably along the lines of The
Singularity is Near... (There is a chapter about Kurzweil) but perhaps
more readable and with different specific applications. :-)

http://www.abundancethebook.com/

Have any of you gotten an advanced copy? What do you think?

Here is the first paragraph from the online preview:
"These are turbulent times. A quick glance at the headlines is enough to
set anybody on edge and—with the endless media stream that has lately
become our lives—it’s hard to get away from those headlines. Worse, evolution
shaped the human brain to be acutely aware of all potential dangers.
As will be explored in later chapters, this dire combination has a profound
impact on human perception: It literally shuts off our ability to take in
good news."

Seems like a good start to me. Here is the table of contents.

PART ONE: PERSPECTIVE
Chapter One Our Grandest Challenge 3
Chapter Two Building the Pyramid 12
Chapter Three Seeing the Forest Through the Trees 27
Chapter Four It’s Not as Bad as You Think 38
PART TWO: EXPONENTIAL TECHNOLOGIES
Chapter Five Ray Kurzweil and the Go-Fast Button 51
Chapter Six The Singularity Is Nearer 59
PART THREE: BUILDING THE BASE OF THE PYRAMID
Chapter Seven The Tools of Cooperation 77
Chapter Eight Water 85
Chapter Nine Feeding Nine Billion 100
PART FOUR: THE FORCES OF ABUNDANCE
Chapter Ten The DIY Innovator 119
Chapter Eleven The Technophilanthropists 132
Chapter Twelve The Rising Billion 140
PART FIVE: PEAK OF THE PYRAMID
Chapter Thirteen Energy 155
Chapter Fourteen Education 174
Chapter Fifteen Health Care 189
Chapter Sixteen Freedom 205
PART SIX: STEERING FASTER
Chapter Seventeen Driving Innovation and Breakthroughs 217
Chapter Eighteen Risk and Failure 227
Chapter Nineteen Which Way Next? 236
Afterword: Next Step—Join the Abundance Hub 241

I'm looking forward to reading this...

-Kelly