[ExI] The existence of Jesus (Was: Political Origins of Life)

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 6 13:39:20 UTC 2012

BillK <pharos at gmail.com> jested:

> But, of course, Jesus may not actually have said that ...

Presumably this was said in jest, and it did make me laugh, but I'm now wondering how many people, on this list and elsewhere, that are not religious, actually believe there was a Jesus.

I don't mean believe in Jesus as in 'this guy who totally existed, was the son of some god or other', but in the sense of believing there was a single person that these stories are based on.  I'd have thought it patently obvious that Jesus is a kind of King Arthur or Robin Hood figure, a composite myth from many stories over a long period of time.  There is absolutely no historical evidence for such a figure (afaik, please correct me if I'm wrong on that.  With references, obviously!).

"Jesus may not have actually said that" sounds very like "King Arthur may not have actually lived at Camelot" to me.  Am I in a minority?

Ben Zaiboc