[ExI] bees again

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Feb 8 02:39:17 UTC 2012

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of spike
Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2012 5:00 PM
To: 'ExI chat list'
Subject: Re: [ExI] bees again

spike wrote:

.

>>... So far this season I've seen *one* honeybee and several tiny native
bees...

>Those tiny native bees are probably Nomia melanderi, if you are west of the
Rockies in the US.

 <http://www.ebeehoney.com/Pollination.html> Description:
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyW67xBBOFJjMNAgeSQhaH_iTKooZXlwqXD
V9gpiaV6TUphrNbDbxml1w

>http://www.ebeehoney.com/Pollination.html   This one is a digger, smaller
than the familiar honeybee.  spike

On the other hand, you did specify tiny, and the melanderi are not all that
much smaller than honeybees.  But this guy is much smaller, less than half
the size of a typical honeybee, the Megahilidae, or leafcutter bee:

 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Leaf-cutter-bee.jpg> Description:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5a/Leaf-cutter-bee.jpg
/220px-Leaf-cutter-bee.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megachilidae

I seldom see those around here, but they might be common where you are.

MB, seldom a day goes by that I don't marvel at how lucky we are to live in
the internet age.  I remember all too well just twenty years ago spending 80
bucks for a really nice bee book.  Today that book is practically useless: I
can't do google searches in it.  Part of having it made is knowing when you
have it made.  We do.  Information which was so recently so hard to find and
get, is now at our fingertips constantly.  We are swimming in information,
happier than pigs in the mud.