[ExI] the changing education model

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 16:12:55 UTC 2012

I have long been frustrated by what I see as an ossified and outdated
education delivery model.  (Basically, I think education has been
"corrupted" by factors which place provider interest over actual
learning.  In other words, the financial interests of teachers,
teachers unions, and textbook publishers, and the ideologically-driven
political/financial interests of school boards, administrators,
politicians, and vast self-interested education bureaucracies, tend to
shunt rational ***EDUCATION*** goals down the list and out of sight.)

We had a short discussion a few weeks back along these lines.  Anyway,
the internet is changing all that -- Khan Academy, Stanford's online
AI class, MIT opening up its lessons for free online,  etc.

Here's another:

http://www.seas.harvard.edu/news-events/press-releases/peer-instruction

Best, Jeff Davis

"Everything's hard till you know how to do it."
                             Ray Charles