[ExI] Social justice and transhumanist

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 12:42:09 UTC 2012

2012/2/21 Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se>

> Indeed. I suspect that small homogenous societies can be quite functional
> and happy - at the price of entrepreneurship, individual freedom and
> dynamism. If we look at where the groundbreaking intellectual insights have
> occured, they tend to appear in cosmopolitan zones, not in the middle of
> homogenity.

I think it is fair to say that this is what happens to small, homogenous
but at the same time *insulated* societies - or, rather, communities.
Something which has been rarely applicable to Scandinavian ones (one
example being the Icelandic enclave after the conversion of the mainland).
Societies with strong communitarian ties often prove very dynamic in their
competition with the rest of the world. See also post-Meiji Japan.

Free migration is a good way of keeping states in line - if their policies
> are too bad, people vote with their feet. Not frictionlessly, but enough to
> put some check on the policies (or just allocate people more economically
> efficiently).

Yes, I am inclined to agree with this one. And it is indeed a reasonable
compromise between the concern political pluralism and self-determination
and the allegedly "humanitarian" concerns of those who occasionally do not
really like the fruits thereof and are inclined to launch crusades to save
others from themselves.

--
Stefano Vaj