[ExI] coming this fall, lab grown meat

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Feb 28 21:34:51 UTC 2012

Oh this is cool.  I will be the first in line to devour these things:

http://singularityhub.com/2012/02/28/lab-grown-burger-to-be-served-in-six-mo
nths/?utm_source=The+Harvest+Is+Bountiful
<http://singularityhub.com/2012/02/28/lab-grown-burger-to-be-served-in-six-m
onths/?utm_source=The+Harvest+Is+Bountiful&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=612
0fa3769-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN>
&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=6120fa3769-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN

Lab-Grown Burger To Be Served In Six Months

A number of laboratories around the world are trying to grow meat in a Petri
dish. So far we've heard about clumps of cells grown from stem cells with
the hope that those cells will one day grow into a full-sized, grill-ready
chicken fillet or hamburger
<http://singularityhub.com/2009/12/09/artificial-meat-could-be-on-your-table
-in-5-years/> . Now one researcher says the time to fire up the propane is
fast approaching. Researcher Mark Post announced
<http://aaas.confex.com/aaas/2012/webprogram/Paper6477.html>  to his in
vitro meat producing colleagues that his lab will have a hamburger fit for
consumption sometime this fall.

This is the first I have seen them state an actual near term time-frame.  I
hope they make it.  {8-]