[ExI] Doomsday Oil Price: (was RIP: Peak Oil)

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 07:24:05 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 12:27 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> Solar PV will be cheaper than dirty coal in less than 10 years, at which point the
> whole debate will look very silly in the retrospect.

This is my take on things. Also, there are several fossil fuel
reserves that are NOT oil that would not be very hard to bring online,
should the price of energy go up half an order of magnitude. Methane
clathrate is there, should we need it. Hopefully, the solar will come
online quickly enough and we won't need to go there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methane_clathrate

As usual, the solution is technology. In this case, thin film solar is
my bet for solving most of the problem over the mid term... and in the
short term, oil is probably good enough for the moment. I predict no
riots, unless Obama gets re-elected. Then all bets are off... but the
riots won't be where you expect them... :-)

-Kelly