[ExI] Human running

Brian Manning Delaney listsb at infinitefaculty.org
Mon Jan 16 10:34:42 UTC 2012

El 2012-01-16 02:50, spike escribió:

[....]

> http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20527455.000-were-built-to-run-barefoot-on-our-tiptoes.html

[....]

> In order for toe running to be
> practical even for short distances requires a particular build that is
> common in Kenyan runners (the subject of the New Scientist article) but
> very rare in Americans. Kenyan runners tend to be wiry sorts, but
> westerners in general are much more heavy set. The reason I know about
> this is that I am a 3 sigma boney ass, as compared to normal westerners.
> I can do barefoot toe running if I have a forgiving surface like the
> rubberized tracks we see today, but very few runners can do that style,
> even young guys.

You can sort of carry a thin rubberized track around on the bottom of
your feet with "foot gloves" that are made for (nearly) barefoot running
(there are some that are basically a layer of canvas, but most are a
touch thicker). I'm going to get some next time I'm back in the U.S.

The one person I know (also very skinny) who's tried barefoot running
says his knees felt much better within a few weeks, but that you have to
be really, really careful with every step you take, at first. Then foot
placement comes more naturally (not surprising).

Brian