[ExI] etextbooks

PJ Manney pjmanney at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 15:44:00 UTC 2012

2012/1/20 spike <spike66 at att.net>:
> At my son’s kindergarten today, I began looking through the texts for grades
> up through 4.  I found not one word anywhere about evolution, not a
> syllable.  So sad.  This is our chance to break free from the iron grip of
> Texas.

Hi Spike,

California (where I believe you live) is the biggest market for
textbooks in the US.  In fact, CA and TX are the two dominant markets
that drive content.  Small states, who can't afford to create their
own texts, decide whether they want CA's view of reality or TX's.

If there is no evolution in your school's CA elementary school
textbooks, then it's not about TX.  It's about state-standards and
their concept of what they think kids that age can understand.  OR...
it's your school's choice about what textbook they bought.  All
schools don't all use the same ones.  Districts make those decisions.

Take your kids to natural history museums and the library is filled
with age-appropriate materials.  Teach your kid and his friends about
evolution and if you're really motivated, get involved in state
education standards to change them.

I promise evolution is covered in middle and high school.

PJ