[ExI] Wrestling with Embodiment

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Jan 22 12:57:26 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 04:52:34AM -0800, Ben Zaiboc wrote:

> I think the idea of 'disembodiment' needs to be clarified before going any further.

It sounds like the typical hangup of a science-challenged
philosopher. All computation is embodied. No atoms, no
metabolism, no computation. No computation, no person.

> Does it mean, as Anders suggests, dispensing with or changing our original biological
> bodies, or does it mean literally eliminating all embodiment, whether it be physical
> or some virtual representation? (which is something that I think is not actually possible)

I agree that it does not make much sense. If you remove the sensors
and actuators, whether physical or virtual (like mining the math face),
the result appears pathological.