[ExI] Perception of time was Wrestling with Embodiment

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 18:00:35 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 5:00 AM,   "spike" <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> [...]

I get 11.6 ms for light to cross a lunar diameter.  Collectively you
could talk to such a thing because it wouldn't be any faster than a
human brain.

Taking 1 GHz as the processor node speed (not much over current clock
rates for low power) and giving it a factor of 3000 processor cycles
to wait for the far side of a conversation to return, (1000 latency
out, 1000 for the far node to think about it, 1000 back) the whole
assemblage can't exceed 300 meters in diameter.

At human class volume, a ten cm cube, and configured as a disk there
would be 100 per square meter x 70,000 square meters or seven million
in a "community."  Configured as a sphere, (with a hole to pump
cooling water) 28 million human brain class minds.  At 20 kW per mind,
(1000 times the 20 W/brain we run on) such a community would draw 540
MW.  I am assuming the rest of the million to one speed up comes from
hardware being more efficient than biological brains.

If each 10 cm square section had a 0.1 m/s water flow through it, that
would be 1 l/s, which would carry off 4.2 kW per deg C rise in
temperature, about 5 deg C.

Would you want to move from a slum where there was only a 100,000 to
one speed up to one of these "elite" places with a million to one
speed up?

Unless we can find a way around the speed of light, then I don't see a
future for M brains, S brains or even Luna sized brains.

YMMV

Keith

(And please check my numbers)