[ExI] Panbiogenesis

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Wed Jan 25 10:31:27 UTC 2012

On 25/01/2012 02:41, The Avantguardian wrote:
> Remember Panbiogenesis, my whacky theory that once a long time ago the entire universe was a warm and wet primoridal soup of life? Well check out this recent news:
>
> http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-04-bacteria-extreme-gravity.html
>
> Apparently bacteria *thrive* under an acceleration of over a hundred thousand g's.

I don't see the link to panbiogenesis, the article merely mentions
panspermia, which is something entirely different. And even there the
link is tenuous: for panspermia to work, bacteria have to survive being
launched by meteor impacts and then freeze dryed for very long time -
they do not have to grow in high gravity environments. While the paper
shows that life could exist on even heavier worlds than we previously
thought (good news for all those big waterworlds we think are out
there), this doesn't improve chances of panspermia much since heavy
worlds are much less likely to be sources of launched life than lighter
worlds.

So this paper at most bumps up our estimate of the amount of life on
heavy worlds, but it does not support panspermia or panbiogenesis.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute