[ExI] Wrestling with Embodiment

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Wed Jan 25 18:07:01 UTC 2012

On 25/01/2012 14:02, Natasha Vita-More wrote:

> I have to say I agree Stefano.  And I am surprised that Andes does not
> include, on some level, chemistry since he is a neuroscientist.  In
> fact, Margulis + Sandberg AGI model might be fascinating.

Isn't chemistry obvious? Or maybe not... I hear a lot of people object
to brain emulation because they think it cannot simulate brain chemistry
or that we haven't thought about it.

The fact that one could replace chemistry or tendon elasticity with an
equivalent digital circuit (at least in my functionalist philosophy...
that not every transhumanist buys!) doesn't mean they are irrelevant.

The quirks of my body chemistry affect my mood, my habits and "style" of
health. The causes are simple genetic variations, receptor levels,
physiological feedback states etc. that are fairly meaningless on their
own, but their combination is important for maintaining my
individuality. If I were to change them as part of my life project, that
would change me. Which is OK if I do it deliberatly and cautiously. But
a change that just replaced them with a standard physiology would likely
change me in an inauthentic direction, removing my contingent
uniqueness. Keeping their functional effects but implementing them
effectively would on the other hand IMHO not change who I am or my life.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute