[ExI] Wrestling with Embodiment

natasha at natasha.cc natasha at natasha.cc
Wed Jan 25 19:25:43 UTC 2012

   Quoting Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se>:

> On 25/01/2012 14:02, Natasha Vita-More wrote:
>>
>> I have to say I agree Stefano.  And I am surprised that Andes does
>> not include, on some level, chemistry since he is a
>> neuroscientist.    In fact, Margulis + Sandberg AGI model might be
>> fascinating.
>>

> Isn't chemistry obvious? Or maybe not... I hear a lot of people object
> to brain emulation because they think it cannot simulate brain
> chemistry or that we haven't thought about it.

   I was referring to chemical matter not computation vis a vis machines.

> The fact that one could replace chemistry or tendon elasticity with an
> equivalent digital circuit (at least in my functionalist philosophy...
> that not every transhumanist buys!) doesn't mean they are irrelevant.

   Of course, but this is not what I was referring to.  Why does it
have to be about the machine?  Is human-machine absolute?  Is there
not another possible way in which the brain and its functioning could
be expanded/extended that does not rely exculsive on computational
codes?

   Natasha