[ExI] First PhD to an AGI

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 15:30:12 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 3:39 AM, John Grigg <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Kryonica wrote:
> I agree with your timeline, for the same reasons that you list.  But I think
> once the field is wide open for AI to earn any sort of advanced degree, we
> will see AI's earning PhD's at the rate Boy Scouts earn merit badges!

Especially if the courses are taught by other AGIs, which might happen
first... already seeing the beginnings of that now.

> lol  I
> could envision a decade old AI in the late 21st century, literally having
> dozens or even hundreds of PhD's.  And so even if they do not wipe out
> humanity, they may still patronize us with their academic prowess.

I'd hate to have to compete intellectually with that, of course.

> This of course opens up the discussion as to whether AI could be truly
> patronizing to humans...  ; )

Whether they are patronizing or not, we will FEEL as though they are
patronizing. Don't you feel like Google sometimes comes across as just
a wee bit patronizing now? Oh, you want THAT answer, well here's THAT
answer moron!!! Aww... I feel like a dumb ass now...

-Kelly