[ExI] Bringing new life to dead matter

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 12:56:15 UTC 2012

On 3 June 2012 13:28, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com> wrote:

> All chemicals work
> with information, but informational processing doesn't equal
> consciousness. Most people don't consider computers conscious (yet)
> but they process way more information than a plant.

I am not sure, and certainly they process much less information than, say,
real stars (see Wolfram again about that).

As to what you call "consciousness", I would hard pressed to define it
unless as a set of behaviours, which may induce us to indulge in some
degree of self-identification. But for many people in history this has
always been relatively easy with natural phenomena, or with their cars, and
I suspect that most dedicated gardeners actually believe to participate to
the suffering or joy of thee objects of their attentions...

--
Stefano Vaj