[ExI] devouring brains, was: RE: Bringing new life to dead matter

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 14:31:03 UTC 2012

On 10 June 2012 00:33, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> Has anyone here ever actually devoured brains?  I have not, but I have half
> a mind to do it, just to know what it is like.  It is available at the
> local
> butcher.  I already have a technique for devouring strange new foods: go
> half rations and zero fat for about three days, then you can eat anything.
> I don't recall anyone saying it is necessarily good food.
>
> Is there any special way it needs to be prepared?  Are there any risks
> involved such as mad cow disease?  Does that apply to swine brains?

(Veal) brains are a typical, albeit not very frequently served these days,
specialty of Milanese cuisine.

You can cook them very lightly in a vapour oven and serve them with salt
and lemon, or make kind of Milanese cotolettas with thin slices thereof
(panfried after passing them in eggs and then in grated bread).

I suspect that things contributing to brains being relatively outfashioned
(much easier to find them served at home than in a restaurant) are:
- the progressive and stupid reduction of popular cuts (everybody seems to
like only tenderloin and t-bone steaks nowadays);
- the 60s and 70s campaign against colesterol;
- the 90s terror campaign about the mad cow syndrom.

I would not have that for breakfast everyday, but it is excellent for a
change.

--
Stefano Vaj