[ExI] Abiogenesis under extremes of pressure

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 06:30:17 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 4:20 AM, Kelly Anderson wrote:
>  I think you would find the work of Robert M. Hazen very interesting.
> His book "Genesis" talks exactly about abiogenesis under high
> pressure. He has an entire chapter entitled "Under Pressure". He
> started life as a geologist, so this was pretty natural for him to
> think about.

The origin of life challenge: Searching for how life began
June 20, 2012 By Nola Taylor Redd

<http://phys.org/news/2012-06-life-began.html>

Quote:
Considered the blueprint of life, DNA is found in all living cells.
Scientists think it was preceded by RNA, which may have played a role
in the development of the first life on Earth.

In 2011, retired chemist and entrepreneur Harry Lonsdale announced his
plans to fund research on how life originally formed. Of the 76
proposals submitted to his Origin of Life Challenge, Lonsdale and his
team of experts selected three to fund for at least the next year,
with the potential to continue financial support in the future.

Though not the expressed intention, all three proposals wound up
examining some aspect of the RNA world. RNA is thought to be the
precursor to DNA, at one time not only carrying genetic information
but also acting as a catalyst.