[ExI] virtual travel improving all the time

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 21:07:32 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 9:09 PM, spike wrote:
> One of the notions I have in mind is the increase and improvement in
> virtual travel, such as that found in the links below.  Stuff like this
> didn’t even exist a decade ago, and now it is pretty good.  Extrapolate this
> into the future, and imagine how good virtual travel could get.  Then, for
> instance, instead of using up the fuel to travel to that place in Italy
> where the guy in the pointy white hat lives (can’t recall the name;
> Ratzinger?) you could bring it to your desktop, and see that place where
> that guy painted all that stuff on the ceiling.  In some ways it might
> actually be better than going there in person, because if you are there, you
> can only stand on the floor and strain your neck.

These are nice photographic panoramic views that you can move around in.
But they are not 'live'.

For 'live' you need webcams. As you know there are many webcam
directories around.

But did you know that google maps has a webcams layer?

You can enable it by clicking on "More..." and selecting "Webcams".
If you click on a thumbnail, Google will show "a snapshot of the
camera that has been taken in the last 15 minutes". You'll need to
click on the snapshot twice (first at Google Maps and then at
webcams.travel) to get to the source and see the live webcam.

Google links to the webcams on
<http://www.webcams.travel/>

BillK