[ExI] AI milestones

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 16:46:21 UTC 2012

On 29 February 2012 21:35, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> In a sense, a heat seeking missile is a robot after it is fired, and it
sure
> as all hell kills people, or tries to, or rather does what it is
programmed
> to do.  Industrial equipment has had automated controls for a long time.
> Nearly a century ago we had automated continuous miners and coal drilling
> equipment, which would occasionally spark a coal dust explosion which
killed
> plenty of guys.  Autopilots are robots in a sense, and they have been
known
> to fail, killing planeloads of proles.  You can probably think of examples
> that predated 1979.

In Artificious Intelligences<http://www.divenire.org/articolo_versione.asp?id=1>I
maintainand try to demonstrate, that there is really no other possible
sense.

We can simply have a robot more flexible in performing its tasks, or with a
better, more "high-level" understanding of their meaning.

Or we can program it to execute a (pseudo-)Darwinian program, in which case
it will do its best to (survive as a mean to) reproduce, possibly by
pursuing through all sorts of intermediate goals, again with varying
degrees of "intelligence".

In all events, the latter feature can be easily implemented in the system
as of now by including into it a biological "coprocessor" - for instance a
man at a keyboard - without any actual difference for the target in the
crosshair.

--
Stefano Vaj