[ExI] FW: Jaw-dropping CWRU Alzheimer's breakthrough?

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Mar 2 07:32:39 UTC 2012

Subject: RE: [ExI] Jaw-dropping CWRU Alzheimer's breakthrough?

Hey cool, a report came out from the Salk Institute in December about a new
Alzheimer's drug they were testing, which they just called compound J147,
perhaps to prevent a stampede of amateur pharmacists from experimenting with
it on themselves and their family members.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xz_0zujJjD0>
&v=xz_0zujJjD0

They did show a screen shot of the molecule, which I captured at one minute
forty seconds.  Here's the cool part.  Notice the similarity to bexarotene
on the right below:

>From the screen shot, J147 has nitrogens in two places where bexarotene has
carbons, the methyl groups are slightly different, the double bond to oxygen
is moved over to a different position and there are three chlorines
substituted on one of the methyl groups.  I would call J147 (left) a
chemical cousin to bexarotene.  Source: US patent from 1998.

It wouldn't surprise me if a family of chemicals similar to bexarotene may
all have some impact on beta amyloids.  We know that the statins are a group
of similar chemicals.  So if we have stumbled upon a kind of Lipitor for the
brain, there will be plenty of one-offs from which to choose.  What I want
to know is if Salk Institute and Case Western influenced each other, or if
the two groups discovered this independently.

We know ways to take a known molecule and synthesize a chemical one-off
through substitution.  Chlorine for hydrogen on your outermost methyl is an
easy one.  If we need to go around patent 5,780,676 which still has a little
over three years in it, that might be the way to do it.  Again the stoner
crowd may come riding to the rescue: they do stuff like this all the time.
They can take some controlled stone-forming chemical which is illegal, do a
one-off and create a perfectly legal stone-former.  So they should be able
to teach us a few of those tricks, in which case they would aid humanity
bigtime.

This is going to be an interesting next few months as clinical test results
start coming in.