[ExI] Jaw-dropping CWRU Alzheimer's breakthrough?

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Mar 3 15:20:57 UTC 2012

From: spike [mailto:spike66 at att.net]
Subject: RE: [ExI] Jaw-dropping CWRU Alzheimer's breakthrough?

>...we found out that amateur scientists may get ahold of curcumin, modify
it in a home chemistry lab, all of this being done legally, morally and
ethically... spike

WOW check this!  Many of you here may know John Smart.  He used to hang out
on ExI years ago, and do let me assure you he is appropriately named.  He
gives pitches at the local singularity events.  I thought his singularity
pitches were even more insightful than Eliezer's in some important ways.
John heads up the Acceleration Studies Foundation:

http://accelerating.org/

I just stumbled across a paper that shows John was onto the beneficial
effects of curcumin at least three years ago:

http://accelerating.org/articles/curcumin.html

He even mentions the possible benefits to AD patients in that article.

Note that the Salk Institute created J147 as a chemical one-off of curcumin
extract, and bexarotene is very similar to Salk's J147, and UCLA's custom
molecule CLR01:

http://www.news-medical.net/news/20120302/CLR01-blocks-toxic-aggregations-of
-proteins-in-mouse-model-of-Parkinsons.aspx

John, if you are lurking, WELL DONE, me lad.