[ExI] Stepping into a Pile of Crap (Maybe)

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 04:35:27 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Mike Dougherty <msd001 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hopefully this isn't too far off topic... but I know some of you have
>> had run ins with bad PR in the past, and I thought this might be a
>> good place to get some advice. You're the smartest people I know
>> collectively.
>>
>> Recently, there has been a dust up about president Obama's web subsite
>> for African Americans.
>>
>> http://www.barackobama.com/african-americans
>>
>> Some people, me included, think this is racist. To point out this
>> fact, I am considering the creation of a parallel web site...
>
> You know that McDonalds (likely other mega-corps) have "targeted"
> marketing subsites?
>
> from: http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/websites.html
>
> http://www.365black.com/365black/index.jsp is "Deeply Rooted in the Community"
> also: "At McDonald's®, we believe that African-American culture and
> achievement should be celebrated 365 days a year — not just during
> Black History Month."
>
> You could also go here:
> http://www.myinspirasian.com/html/english/index.html#/?slide=0
> and take the Asian Phrases Challenge.  It makes me wonder if they
> would target a Latino community by quizzing their knowledge of
> Spanish.

OK, this is just sick and wrong... not only that, but it doesn't work
(the asian phrases web page)...

> Latino: http://www.meencanta.com/
> Nope.  They do, however, provide a link to switch to English.  I guess
> that's good.

Isn't that special.

> In case you aren't fitting into a specific ethnicity though, you might
> be a member of the children (http://www.happymeal.com/en_US/) or
> tweens (http://www.mcworld.com/) demographic.  While there you (or
> your unsuspecting children) will be subject to lines like "Hey kids,
> this is advertising!"  (is that Truth in Advertising that it is
> in-fact advertising?)
>
> Kelly, I say go for it.  You are in good company.  If anyone objects
> you can point blame at others and claim to only be doing what other
> successful companies are clearly getting away with.

I am just sick and tired of all the political correctness that's going
around. Seems to be killing us as a society. Thanks for the thumbs
up... If I turn up dead, it's either my ex wife, or the Democrat SWAT
team. :-)

-Kelly