[ExI] homebrew cold freon bath super computer

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 04:06:30 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 8:38 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> Hard to say.  If I invest in 100 of these and want them in close quarters, I
> need a major power supply.  I would think it would require a home
> refrigerator scale cooling system.

Are they going to be sufficiently faster if they're in a 1 cubic meter
volume than 10 meters apart?  I am curious if you can get enough solar
power to run the cpu far enough separated from each other that air
cooling is fine.  Either you've got a source for cheap ethernet cable
or you hookup $15 worth of usb wifi.  Maybe you don't have a router
than can talk to 100 nodes at once, but you might even be able to have
each node act as a forwarder so you can continue to scale this mesh
across your neighbors' fields too.  This won't be cheap to build but
you might manage to make it fairly sustainable.

>>...Sorry if after modifications the plan is not exotic enough for you.
> Seems to me, exotic is what makes you tick :-)... Tomasz Rola
>
> Ja it is an aerospace engineer's thing.  Why make something simple and
> straightforward, when it can be made complex and wonderful?

BOTECs on how long it'll take for solar-powered computering mesh to
pay for itself doing "odd jobs"?  (consult Farmer's Almanac for your
local area average solar input)