[ExI] homebrew cold freon bath super computer

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Mar 10 04:39:35 UTC 2012

Subject: Re: [ExI] homebrew cold freon bath super computer

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 8:38 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>> Hard to say.  If I invest in 100 of these and want them in close
> quarters, I need a major power supply.  I would think it would require
> a home refrigerator scale cooling system.

>...Are they going to be sufficiently faster if they're in a 1 cubic meter
volume than 10 meters apart?

That I don't know, but the motive for the whole immersion notion is not
about speed but rather about room.  If I want to run 100 computers, I don't
want them scattered all over my house, don’t even want them in a big breezy
rack.  I would go for something the size of a gallon of milk, residing
permanently in my fridge.  I would sacrifice some cabinet space to house the
100 watt power supply too.

>...BOTECs on how long it'll take for solar-powered computering mesh to pay
for itself doing "odd jobs"?  (consult Farmer's Almanac for your local area
average solar input)  ...Mike

They can do it now.  Consider that cell phone at the chess tournament.  It
played a dozen games, winning 11 and drawing 1, so clearly it didn't run out
of battery charge.  The rules of its participation required that it not be
plugged into a charger, to help insure it wasn't somehow rigged to get
signals through the wire.  The best lithium ion batteries are rated at about
250 wh/kg and a phone battery is about 12 grams, so that comes out close to
3 watt hours.  Another source tells me a Li-ion has a capacity of 700 mAh at
3.7 volts, and that also comes out to about 3 watt hours almost, and a
typical chess game at top level is about three hours, so that phone is doing
all those calcs for about a watt on the high end.  So my reasoning is that
you could keep a stack of 100 of them in your refrigerator, with the power
source outside.  I think a typical refrigerator can handle a 100 watt heat
load, although I would need to check that.  I could just get a 100 watt
incandescent bulb and put it in there, see if everything stays cold.

Has anyone a link to how much power a typical cell phone processor needs?