[ExI] Pink Slime

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Mar 13 19:17:38 UTC 2012

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Stefano Vaj
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 5:04 AM
To: The Avantguardian; ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] Pink Slime

On 12 March 2012 21:49, The Avantguardian <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com>
wrote:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/nationworld/la-na-nn-pink-slime-20120309,0,
1666063.story

>>.Since many here were discussing food issues including tissue-cultured
meat, I thought I would bring up so-called pink slime.

>.There is more to meat than dry-aged beef tenderloin. .-- Stefano Vaj

Ja, but I want you guys to stop and really ponder what it is that makes good
meat.  It isn't flavor really, although that is certainly part of it.  What
makes for good meat is texture.  Consider the title of this thread, pink
slime.  It tells us two things that make for a poor substitute for meat: it
isn't the right color and it isn't the right texture.  Something the
meat-substitute industry has been struggling to do for decades is to match
the way meat tears apart when it is being devoured.  This is a function of
the cross linking in the tissues.  Jello or slime isn't the same thing: not
enough cross=linking.  Rubber isn't the same: far too much cross linking,
for it doesn't tear apart under the teeth as does flesh.  Somewhere in
between is the perfect tender prime cut.  Our job is to engineer that.