[ExI] Pink Slime

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 19:52:23 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 3:17 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> **
>
> Ja, but I want you guys to stop and really ponder what it is that makes
> good meat.  It isn’t flavor really, although that is certainly part of it.
> What makes for good meat is texture.  Consider the title of this thread,
> pink slime.  It tells us two things that make for a poor substitute for
> meat: it isn’t the right color and it isn’t the right texture.

"Pink slime" isn't a meat substitute, it's a meat by-product that used to
extend ground beef.

 Something the meat-substitute industry has been struggling to do for
> decades is to match the way meat tears apart when it is being devoured.
> This is a function of the cross linking in the tissues.  Jello or slime
> isn’t the same thing: not enough cross=linking.  Rubber isn’t the same: far
> too much cross linking, for it doesn’t tear apart under the teeth as does
> flesh.  Somewhere in between is the perfect tender prime cut.  Our job is
> to engineer that.

Why do we need to engineer the perfect meat substitute when we've got
already got real meat that's relatively inexpensive, nutritious, and
renewable?

-Dave