[ExI] Pink Slime

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 09:55:00 UTC 2012

2012/3/13 spike <spike66 at att.net>

> Ja, but I want you guys to stop and really ponder what it is that makes
> good meat.  It isn’t flavor really, although that is certainly part of it.
> What makes for good meat is texture. Consider the title of this thread,
> pink slime.  It tells us two things that make for a poor substitute for
> meat: it isn’t the right color and it isn’t the right texture.

"Colour" should be easy enough, and if we can engineer the production of
entire, structured body organs for, say, transplant, foie gras should not
be much more difficult than a human liver... :-)

Admittedly, however, one thing is to provide nutritionally-equivalent
proteins to austronauts or to grain-fed people on the border of starvation,
for which some ideal "pink slime" might be enough, another to come up with
a "meatoid" artificial product that be *better* than the original from a
gastronomic point of view. Which it would need to be, especially as long as
it would cost more and not less.

--
Stefano Vaj