[ExI] Cheap Source of Protein was Re: Pink Slime

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Wed Mar 14 10:05:51 UTC 2012

On 14/03/2012 04:21, spike wrote:
> Think of shrimp or prawns.

Did someone mention sushi? :-)

Yes, food preferences are surprisingly flexible. One constant however is
that all cultures have a fairly narrow list of "acceptable" meat and
regards anything else as weird or disgusting. What ends up on what list
is largely due to upbringing.

Getting proteins from insects is likely a smart move: very productive,
low GHG emissions, less ethical concern than vertebrates. There might be
an allergy issue: people with allergy to prawns apparently cannot handle
many insects, likely because they are allergic to arthropods in general.
So we cannot entirely rely on insects for food, unless we cure those
allergies.

Another problem is size. I of course want to solve it by rearing the
insects in a high oxygen environment so they grow larger...

Eating at the lowest level possible in the nutrient chain increases the
available food a lot, and lowers risk of toxin accumulation. Algae and
designer yeasts can be very useful.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute