[ExI] Atlantic article on human reengineering with very strong reactions

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Wed Mar 14 10:47:00 UTC 2012

On 13/03/2012 12:20, Mike Dougherty wrote:
> I agree that's A plan, but the ONLY one?

No, of course not. I think one of the big problems with most climate
discussions is that people have formed very tight camps around certain
plans, and absolutely refuse to countenance mentions of other
possibilities. I suspect that real climate solutions will be messy mixes
of approaches.

On 14/03/2012 08:09, The Avantguardian wrote:
> Don't mind the more boorish comments, Anders. Some people just don't realize that the great unknown they worship as God doesn't value them over the sparrows of the earth. Besides there is no such thing as bad publicity and you did combine two of the most controversial issues of our times. So congrats.

Thanks. Actually, many of the worst comments come from groups that I
have absolutely no respect for, so they paradoxically boost my ego. Who
knew there was so many bioconservative climate denialists? I always
believed the biggest rage would be from the more normal greens.

On 13/03/2012 19:27, spike wrote:
> Of course that sold me bigtime: I have long advocated for smaller people.

I actually think that was why I came up with the idea in our discussions
while writing the paper. I remembered some of our earlier discussions
about reduced Mars expeditions.

> The notion isn't to modify our DNA directly, but rather modify our sexual desires, so that we are attracted to smaller people.  Then the DNA modification happens by mate selection.

That is going to take a long while... but it will fun doing it.

Of course, I am already together with a tall blond Swede, so I might be
out of the game for the moment :-)

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute