[ExI] Atlantic article on human reengineering with very strong reactions

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Mar 14 14:02:42 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 06:27:07AM -0700, The Avantguardian wrote:

> > Nothing can touch solid-state. What would be the alternatives?
>
> Intelligent swarms of nano-replicators?

I don't know why you mention matter manipulation,
we're talking about the ultimate limits of classical
computation. You could use a piece of a molecular
circuit to control a matter-manipulating machine
to build many things, including bulk molecular circuitry.

If you want to maximize the rate of bit tweakage,
they you minimize the dead volume so you minimize
relativistic latency so your light cone bases
sit tighter. Classically, you can't getter better
than a closest packing (e.g. hcp) of invidual
cells, an information crystal. If you never erase
bits (reversible computation) then you don't have
to worry about Landauer's limit (but it might be
too slow for practical use, as evolution selects
for fastest systems within attainable metabolic
footprint.

> Cyborgs, iBorgs, in a pinch maybe even you with a stick.

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

> Solid state will probably have its day when apha is larger.

Solid state is down to small atom groups and single
spins in the lab. I'd say that's within touching distance
of the fundamental limits, if scaled up to volume.

> Then even catalysis wont help wet-ware. Till then water deserves to feel as well.

Some men you just can't reach.