[ExI] mitochondrial DNA repair

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 16:42:46 UTC 2012

Fiends,

The notion of DNA repair as a life extension/health maintenance
strategy has been around for a while. In that context, I've worried
about the challenge of mitochondrial repair -- DNA and structural --
("rejuvenation", loosely speaking).  How, or if, it could be done.

I imagined it to be hard, and worried, forgetting my boy Ray's truism.
 Well, I'm pleasantly surprised to announce that it doesn't appear to
be "hard" any longer.

Now I'm pondering just how large a part -- fundamental? --
mitochondrial decline may play in the larger gradual decline we refer
to as aging, and consequently, just how large an impact on extending
lifespan this new discovery may eventually enable.

UCLA scientists find way to repair mutations in human mitochondria
http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla/ucla-scientist-find-way-to-repair-230241.aspx

What a fabulously amazing time we live in.

Best, Jeff Davis

         "Everything's hard till you know how to do it."
                                    Ray Charles