[ExI] Cheap Source of Protein was Re: Pink Slime

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Mar 15 20:34:12 UTC 2012

Subject: Re: [ExI] Cheap Source of Protein was Re: Pink Slime

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 11:37 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

>>.Nearly all bugs are edible: our stomachs know what to do.  But to make
them palatable requires a great deal of skill, some of which is yet to be
discovered, skills which will eventually be distributed via the internet.

>.I think you're overstating the case. A lot of insects require minimal
preparation, e.g., light roasting or a little seasoning.

Ja I think at least roasting will be necessary, to drive off some or most of
the water.  Otherwise they would be too gooey and get stuck in the teeth
etc, not advisable for a first date.  I have in mind some sort of tumbling
cylinder the size of a 55 gallon drum, turning slowly over a direct heat
source so that it holds at about 130C for several hours.  This should reduce
any size bug to a pile of dark gravelly consistency, which could then be
ground to a high-protein granular or dark flour consistency, from which we
could add yeast to produce a breadlike substance or perhaps high protein
crackers.

>.Obviously some people will have a hard time getting over their lifelong
insect-revulsion conditioning.,

Hunger and beer.  Great combination for reprogramming the appetite.

>. but I don't think it's necessary to get everyone on board.  -Dave

Agreed, and I don't want everyone on board.  Everyone is not on board with
sushi; this is a good thing.  All the more for me.  Enough left over to feed
that mighty devourer of sushi, the astounding Anders.