[ExI] h+ in smithsonian

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Mar 20 11:48:17 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 12:27:11PM +0100, Stefano Vaj wrote:

> At a point in time, a threat is discovered that is going to sterilise the
> earth for good, and if my recollection is good, at least some of those who
> were not part of an uploaded polis are forced to upload - something which
> may well correspond to murder in their own view - out of some "moral
> obligation" to do so.

The same applies if Earth is to become uninhabitable as the result
of collective action of the postbiota, most of them outside of the
gravity well. A dilemma arises among these who want to give a last
opportunity for lift to these left behind: what is coercion? Is
the informed consent really that?

I personally would decide on a case to case basis, and unvoluntarily
upload these who do not appear to be really making an informed consent --
giving an opportunity to opt out again (self-terminate) after some
acclimatization period.