[ExI] Art of the Future

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Wed Mar 21 21:06:20 UTC 2012

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012, Tomasz Rola wrote:

[...]

> In no particular order, apart from Stanislaw Lem's books, I find those art
> pieces interesting and inspiring:

[... blah blah blah ...]

> It is possible I have forgotten of something worth mentioning. However, I
> cannot recall a film made in the last decade and worth mentioning. At
> least when it comes to s-f. Actually, a decade and half, null. Actually,
> two decades, not counting positions already mentioned. It went to such
> extreme, that I barely expect anything interesting from single s-f films -
> I mean, all right, nice actresses, yeah, somewhat interesting plot, yeah,
> a concept or two, yeah, but watching it for the second time - not so
> often.

Yay! I have forgotten two of my favourite shows! Where was my head.

- "Battlestar Galactica" - the newer, from 2003 on, series including
offshots and minis. I don't know an original one. The new one, I think is
a very well made space-war opera. I remember watching a Pilot, and a
moment when beautiful Cyloness reached out toward a crying baby and broke
her neck with a click. Wow, from this very moment I was wholeheartedly
subscribed to the show. My sis, when I told her about this
enthusiastically (because I tend to be enthusiastic from time to time,
about various things), replied I had a serious sanity problem. Hah! Maybe
she was right. Anyway, the show had downs and ups (yep, there were better
moments, better even than nuking whole multiplanetary human civilisation
back to dirt) but overally, I would have been delighted to see it all
again.

- "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" - a story in what appears to
be alternative timeline (Sarah is brunette, for example). Two
terminatoress, both good looking and smart enough to not fight each other.
I just watched it for the second time, and I wasn't tired at all.

In both cases, there is attempt to show machines as having some kind of
psychology of their own. Technology - well, while I was busy watching I
might have skipped something but I think there wasn't anything very
stupid, so I was pleased with realism of s-f quite a lot. OTOH, I might
have spotted some goof and forgot about later, after being visually and
emotionally stunned again (they didn't killed more babies, but there were
other, ehem, you know, moments, liquid terminatoress posing to be urinal
etc).

Regards,
Tomasz Rola