[ExI] 5th Grade Science Fair -- Evolution

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 17:22:27 UTC 2012

Do you buy the flies from a biological supplier?
Which one? Would be interesting to see a graph of average speed as a
function of generation number. How many generations you got so far? Could
you get the speed of individual flies (if not all, at least a good
sample?). It would be interesting to see the distribution of the individual
flies speeds to see if there is a change in distribution. Another thing to
be careful about is when you take the speeds, try to do it at the same time
of the day and under same light conditions, because circadian rhythms could
affect the speed. That could be an interesting follow up of your study
(maybe for next year project). How the flies in each generation change
their rhythms, do they become more synchronized with the from biological
rhythms? Make sure to keep similar light-dark cycles conditions during the
experiment.
Giovanni