[ExI] Hungry? Then place an order with,"TacoCopter!"

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Mar 26 10:46:37 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 11:31:20AM +0100, Anders Sandberg wrote:

> I would assume a quadcopter has the following costs:
> Batteries (might not be getting cheaper fast)

Batteries are effectively static costs.

> Control electronics (getting very cheap very fast)
> Motors (price set by magnets?)

You don't have to have rare-earth magnets.
I would be very interested to see what you could do
with metal-free motors (doped carbon nanotube or
graphene nano ribbons).

> Blades and chassi (set by manufacturing run size?)
> Energy to recharge (solar cells, getting mildly cheaper)

A good way to boost range would be to have PV panels with recharging
ports where drones can perch.

Unfortunately latter will be also useful for antipersonnel drones,
which can remain operational for years. Unlike kamikaze drones which
self-destroy a neurotoxin-dispensing drone could be good for hundreds or
thousands of kills, in an area of up to ~km.