[ExI] The NSA's new data center

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 09:41:34 UTC 2012

On 26 March 2012 14:54, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> That said, I do not believe in technological determinism. Societies (and
> elites) can decide they do not want to have ubiqitious surveillance and
> take steps to prevent it.

Yes, but it is going to be an arm race, and measures to prevent
surveillance are going to become ever more complicate and expensive. This
is why I expect the pendulum to swing back to the "normal" state of things
where in human societies privacy is the exception, not the rule.

In the meantime, I welcome the spreading of a security culture but not the
enactment of privacy regulations which only increase informational
asymmetries and social control in favour of governments in place.

--
Stefano Vaj