[ExI] The NSA's new data center

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Mon Mar 26 12:54:50 UTC 2012

On 25/03/2012 10:05, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> So you'll get seamless coverage of the back room deals in Washington?
> I'm sure only Moore prevents us from being there. I'm sure the board
> meetings won't mind a few perching quadcopters in there, either.
> Transparency is good, after all.

Any big surveillance operation is likely to gather this kind of
information too. Current big surveillance systems most likely gather
plenty of information about government and corporate activity as a side
effect. They don't mean to, and I am certain members of Senate
appropriations committees would not like being told that copies their
emails and phonecalls are stored somewhere, but as I said in the other
post, beyond a certain point selection becomes post-gathering rather
than pre-gathering.

That said, I do not believe in technological determinism. Societies (and
elites) can decide they do not want to have ubiqitious surveillance and
take steps to prevent it. My initial analysis was more motivated by my
interest in preventing hard totalitarianism than making predictions
about when the NSA or BfV get 100% coverage.

However, the longer societies wait in deciding what they want, the less
room to maneouver they have. Lots of boats might already have left -
especially since powerful information assymetries also can exert policy
capture.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute