[ExI] The silent PV revolution

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Mar 30 17:26:53 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Eugen Leitl

>...Of course these are pretty alien concepts to most people, as natural
science knowledge suffered even more than the the rest of the rather abysmal
state of public education we have now. If the public is clueless, so are of
course their political representatives. Very frustrating for the few
engineer types who still get it.

Oy vey, ja.  It is appalling and seems to get worse over time.  I am
astonished at how often I hear people comment that in the future our energy
source will be hydrogen, and since water is 2/3 hydrogen, we have plenty of
it so all is well.  All I can manage is a long frustrated uuuuuhhh like
Lurch the butler from the Addam's Family (ask your grandparents.)  The
fundamental scientific education needed by such a comment is far beyond what
I can supply.

We now have a voting majority of people who firmly believe the technology to
get 100 mpg cars exists and the big evil oil companies bought up and
squelched the patents.  Ever so patiently I explain, yes we can build card
that get 100 mpg, however... it isn't your classic Detroit V8 with special
rare-earth magnets on the fuel line.  Yes we can do it, yes the cars are
light, slow and dangerous, and there are noooo patents or copyrights
preventing any of it from being done.