[ExI] Uploading Swindle (was Re: Finally!)

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sun May 13 15:26:23 UTC 2012

On 13 May 2012 05:51, Tomasz Rola <rtomek at ceti.pl> wrote:

> Revised statement, so it sounds like it should, a logical statement.
>
> Humans feel AND dream AND educate themselves AND change. I should probably
> add we change on our own behalf.
>
> Insects and pets don't do all four of the above.

This remains quite an assumption, and as far as we can hallucinate such
activities in fellow humans (all of them could be philophical zombies,
after all, for what we know), I suspect denying them so self-assuredly to
our closest relatives to be influenced by culturally-driven specieism more
than by empirical experience.

Note that I am quite a peculiar anti-specieist, when compared to, say,
David Pearce, because, eg, I am essentially carnivorous and would not dream
for a minute that I should "liberate" my neighbour's dog from its
"slavery".

But if we have to find identifying features of our species as a whole IMHO
a) we should look harder than that b) we should not base them on an
anthropocentric bias which is the thinly secularised legacy of monotheistic
worldviews where *all* humans and *only* humans would be made in the image
of God.

I consider myself human and cannot see reason to stop being one.

Hey, be my guest. My Holy Scriptures say instead: "Man is something that is
to be surpassed. What have ye done to surpass man? All beings hitherto have
created something beyond themselves: and ye want to be the ebb of that
great tide, and would rather go back to the beast than surpass man? What is
the ape to man? A laughing-stock, a thing of shame. And just the same shall
man be to the Superman: a laughing-stock, a thing of shame. Ye have made
your way from the worm to man, and much within you is still worm. Once were
ye apes, and even yet man is more of an ape than any of the apes... The
Superman is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: The Superman SHALL
BE the meaning of the earth!" :-)

--
Stefano Vaj