[ExI] self driving cars

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu May 17 05:03:18 UTC 2012

>... On Behalf Of Mike Dougherty
>...Subject: Re: [ExI] self driving cars

>...I think spike was suggesting the speeds go down for engineering
>reasons (mostly fuel economy)...

>...Ja, but there is more to it than that.  Speed limits may not go up if we
mix human drivers with software drivers.  Human reflexes will not improve...

This four minute video gives you a good idea of where we were just 8 years
ago.  I was at this competition, and it was a total hoot, but disappointing.
Most of the wagering public assumed these vehicles would do better than they
did.  Recall this was all done in Nevada, so that people could legally bet
on the outcome.  Plenty of money changed hands over these dismal failures:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWLjgs2CEyE

The next year it was a whole nuther story:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UVKBhKPPuc&feature=related